Monday, November 22, 2004

Its funny what kicks off memories. Today I was cleaning a set of my grandmother's pearls and I began thinking about her and that sent me looking for the family picture album.

My grandmother was famous for her pearls. Like Jackie Kennedy a string of pearls always seemed to be around her neck. Over Christmas, my senior year in college I stopped to see her. She and Gramps had settled in an assisted living community on the Jersey shore not far from where they had the beach house.


She always said I was her favorite grandchild and it may have been true. Though I know from comparing notes she said the same thing to my siblings and cousins. I was her names sake and pictures of us at the same ages show a remarkable resemblance.

During that visit she gave me her pearls, three sets that can be worn in five styles. A collar, a four strand set that rests on the collar bone, a choker, a single strand that falls below the throat, and a rope, that breaks down to be worn as matinee and opera lengths. Also included were bracelets, earrings and broaches.

Returning to school I began to wear a strand each day and took some kidding for it. Her health was failing even at Christmas, so it surprised me when my grandparents came to my graduation in the spring. I'm not sure which of us was happier her, or me to have her there. Visiting them in their room I hugged and kissed each, Grammy whispered, “where did you get those beautiful pearls” and we both cried.

When she died last spring, I told Dad I wanted to bring a set for her to wear. He said there was no need; she had kept a strand for the occasion.

Kim

4 Comments:

Blogger Garrison Steelle said...

I think there are times when we are just more sensitive to that type of memory. I have many things around the house that belonged to my parents or grandparents and walk past them all daily. There will be times, though, that I glance over at the nightstand Granddaddy made, or Poppa's dress hat, or Mother's lamp table, and it just stops me dead in my tracks and I pause to remember. No particular rhyme or reason why.

And remembering is good.

-G

9:20 PM  
Blogger John Psmyth said...

"For the occasion"... I love that. Thanks.

1:09 AM  
Blogger HeroineGirl said...

I love this post, it gave me goosies.
Thank you for sharing, love you bella.
HG

1:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved that. What a ticket she must have been.

~jo

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home