Monday, April 18, 2005

It is my uncle’s contention that unknowing westerners engender negative feelings toward the west in conservative societies through the behavior and appearance of western travelers.

I thought of that when I packed for this trip and again Saturday morning while dressing. I chose a long full skirt and a short sleeve blouse topped with a hat. The other women dressed similarly. The men have gone off to ride ATV’s in the desert. I would have enjoyed going, but I wasn’t asked. It was a guy outing I guess.

We women decided to shop. We started in Jemma-I-Fna, the town square with its entertainers and food vendors. From there we went off to the suugs to wander through the shops. While there I purchased a rug and several meters of differing fabrics. I’m not sure what I’ll have made from the fabric but it was too beautiful to pass up. A body guard was sent with us, we decided that he would serve as a proper porter. He wasn't amused and recruited several boys to carry our booty.

For the evening we dined at the compound. As usual I’m the youngest. But not by much this time as the other women were in their early thirties. I’m pretty sure that both of the other men are married so my temporary companions could be rentals also or on long term lease. They seem nice enough, but reserved, which reinforces my suspicions. Beyond my client, I’m not sure I care much for the men. As the alcohol flowed the conversation got pretty raunchy, too much so for my taste.

Kim


6 Comments:

Blogger Pete from Cal said...

Very lovely to hear of your adventure again! :) I'm still trying to figure out "where in the world is Kimmie?!" If you need a body guard to go out to shop, please be careful. It is funny that you suspect the other ladies are either rentals or long term lease. Wouldn't it be funny if they have their own blogs and writing the same thing about you! :) Have a good time!

10:36 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I was in Marrakech

K

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Id like to see the kimi when age catch up with

8:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in Des Moines.

I'm told the kid's first comment, walking into the kitchen was ...
"Dad is stealing flowers again."

Suuqs = covered streets?
Did you ride the Marrakesh Express? (Crosby, Stills and Nash 1969)
My uncle Walter was in the Protocol office in Lybia in the late 50s and I have an oil he did of a subterranean street, to keep out of the heat. I think the light and shade perspective is way off, but it is an uncle Walter painting.

"Here is looking at you, kid." If you are at a place with live music, you just have to ask for "As Time Goes By".

Iowa

9:00 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

I don't know about kimi, but when age catches up with Kimmie, she'll be clipping coupons in a small cottage on a Caribbean island.

Iowa, that was Casablanca and yes suugs are covered (shaded) streets.

K

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Casablanca - Marrakech. I know. But, it is still Morocco. I would give my right arm to be there.

Hinterland.

1:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home