Friday, April 01, 2005

Now that Teri Shiavo has died, I hope that her family finds peace and the strength to move on and live their lives. When I saw the headline earlier, I was glad to see the picture they use of her was one from when she was alive in an indisputable meaning and not that ghastly one of her Mother holding her head.

*********************

Iowa, always concerned that I'm eating properly sent along this recipe for Muktuk.

"Muktuk is the outer covering of the whale. It includes the white skin, approximately 1-2 inches (2 1/2 - 5cm) thick, plus a thin pinkish layer immediately underneath. After taking blocks from the whale, leave 2 days hanging to dry. Cut into pieces 6 x 6 inches (15x15cm). Have water ready to boil. Cook until it tests tender when pierced with a fork. Keep in oil in a 45 gallon (206 litre) drum after it is cooled. Store in a cool place and you will have muktuk all year. Most Inuit prefer to eat muktuk raw, as it has tender-crisp texture and tastes like fresh coconut."

And then for desert some
Eskimo ice cream, which is made from whipped oils and caribou fat, blended with berries, raisins or dried fish.

I don't seem to recall neither whale or caribou fat at the butcher or the grocer.

I've sent it over to Jo at Amuse Bouche for her review.

Kim

2 Comments:

Anonymous Jezebel said...

Hmmm...yeah, Kym if you don't mind, I think I'll pass on that dinner. :P Though if I had a choice, I think I'll take the muktuk over the 'ice cream'.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Pete from Cal said...

After Teri Shiavo's passing, I think there is still a lot of bitterness left between her husband and parents over her remain. He wants to cremate her while her family wants a proper burial. When will the healing begin? *sigh*

On a different note, where did Iowa get that recipe?! Sounds mighty yummy and I hope my local supermarket carries fresh whale meat. :D

Have a great weekend, Kim!

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home