Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Returning home I found out that my neighbor passed away over the weekend. She lived across the street in a first floor apartment. There is a bench next to her door, in the warm weather she would come out and sit in the afternoon sun. Last summer I gained her acquaintance. I could see that she enjoyed having someone seek her out and converse.

My neighborhood has many elderly people and many children, but few young adults. The seniors gather at the park during the summer or at a couple of particular cafés. Those who are less mobile take chairs and like my neighbor sit by their doorways watching the activity in the street and speaking with friends and neighbors who pass. In a manner that I can’t remember experiencing growing up the neighborhood cares for their neighbors checking in on them or bring their orders from the grocer.

Around Christmas my neighbor was hospitalized, she should have gone to a nursing home but she insisted that she return to her home. Her family, nine children, thirty grandchildren and who knows how many great-grand children organized to allow her to do so. When I visited she never failed to tell me how wonderful they were for making that effort.

I last saw her Thursday, she tired easy but was alert and it came as a bit of a surprise when I found out she had died.

Kim

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for thinking about us old folks,
Dubuque

7:42 PM  
Blogger Pete from Cal said...

life is a frail thing... I'm sure she lived a fulfilling life and glad to see she has a family that loves her! Carpe Diem!

1:10 AM  
Blogger Garrison Steelle said...

We always lose something when a soul passes, but her spirit surely lives, not only in the lives of her family, but a bit of it is in you as well.

Peace.

-G

5:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home