Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Taking the train is much more comfortable than flying. The seats are more comfortable, you can spread out and walk about if you like. Plus you have something to look at. I’m in Berlin for a couple of days. I was to travel to Rome for Thursday and Friday, but the client asked to reschedule due to the Pope’s funeral.

****************************

A while ago, a correspondent mentioned that my blog tended to exhibit class-ism. Though he was kind enough to attribute that to the background of my clients. This didn’t offend me; if fact over the last month or so I’ve been pondering how the nature of the people I interact with has changed.

I’ll admit to being a child of privilege. Not great privilege, but the benefits of having grown up in a family that was financially secure enough to ensure that I received anything I needed to allow me to succeed in life. But the world that I am viewing through my little trade is something that only a short time ago I would of turned up my nose to in a display of reverse snobbery.

The community in which I grew up had no great wealth, the farmers and small business owners were probably the wealthiest families due to the value of their properties, but they were often cash poor. The highest income individuals were probably the doctors and lawyers. Wal-Mart and corporate owners in places like Philadelphia, Atlanta and St. Louis had replaced the merchant and industrial families.

While there was not much wealth, there was little grinding poverty. But there were far too many families that lived meager paycheck to paycheck where an unexpected expense could set the family back for months. The typical student car at my high school was a hand me down from a parent or grand parent.

Going off to college changed that. The street near my apartment held several expensive cars, graduation presents and more than one apartment or dorm room featured audio/video systems that cost as much as a nice car. But in the fashion of student life we all seemed to live a lower middle class existence.

Initially coming to Paris was the same; the people who were to become my friends were all starting out but we began to have contact with a different world. A few weeks ago a car was sent for me that cost more than many houses. The woman next to me at dinner that evening complained of the difficulties managing three nannies, two housekeepers and a gardener. I guess her husband manages the chauffer. It’s a world of many beautiful things and it is easy to be sucked in by it, but I hope I don’t get disengaged from what I know is important.

Reverse snobbery is healthier.

Kim


9 Comments:

Blogger RP said...

Seems to me that someone who sits down to analyse your blog for hints of class prejudice may have too much time on their hands. I'd ignore them, were I you.

You write very well and I enjoy your blog very much. Don't let the trolls get you down!

5:58 PM  
Blogger NCTRNL said...

Most of us would do the same thing if given the chance. I know I would...

6:59 PM  
Blogger Garrison Steelle said...

I was wondering earlier this morning if rail schedules had changed any because of the Pope's funeral. Seems like most everything in Europe has been affected.

Classism? Bah. You're literate and intelligent. That's what sets you apart from the masses.

Well, okay, you're beautiful, too, but that's a given.

;)

-G

7:09 PM  
Blogger Pete from Cal said...

Occasionally, self-reflection is good and it'll keep us grounded. As your faithful reader, I don't think you have become a snob yet but if you did, we'll let you know. :P The contention that your blog exhibiting classism is unfounded because we're all classist in some form or another due to our different upbringing. Due to the level of clients you come in contact with, some who have tremendous wealth, I can't blame you if you did become a classist. At least you're one with a good heart. :) Take care and don't read too much into what that reader thinks. Also keep us posted on the "entertainment" part of your life if they are interesting; I miss them. It might sound pathetic but I live vicarious through you. :D

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Assurbanipal said...

Glad to know you're doin' well!

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wat u think is important ? sex??

"FICK DICH" AUS DEUTSCHLAND!!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Scott if you mean marry a client, I can't imagine that happening. If you mean meeting someone at an event that I with a client at who is in the same economic strata as my client, that may be possible. Both women and men have flirted with me and I've had a few discreet suggestions about meeting at a later date.

Regarding music. You may be surprised at the amount of American music that is played on the radio. Escaping Britiney is near impossible. The chanson is alive and well and occasionally with flavorings from North Africa. For a couple of extremes of currently popular performers try Helene Segara and Sinsemilia.


Oh Pete, silly


G, they've added some additional service to Rome.

Kim

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh lord, won’t you buy me a mercedes benz ?
My friends all drive porsches, I must make amends.
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
So lord, won’t you buy me a mercedes benz ? Janis J.

All my neighbors have Mercedes, Lexus or that new Caddilac short SUV. I drive a 1991 Candian made Ford Explorer. Oh Lord, buy me a Suburban for the environment.

Iowa

4:25 PM  
Blogger darling maggot said...

i don't think you're snobbish, kim. if that's what your life is like right now, that's just what your life is like. limos and suites. being snobbish would be if you thought all of this somehow made you a better person than the next one, or that people who had more were superior to people with less, and i don't detect that at all in your attitude. maybe some people get uncomfortable reading about a young woman leading a high falutin' lifestyle, and mistake their discomfort and insecurity for someone else's snobbery. that happens.

3:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home