Thursday, September 29, 2005

My first Paris fashion week was the couture shows in January 2004. Grace gave me tickets to Christian Lacroix’s opening and an invitation to a party later that evening. It was spectacular and I was overwhelmed by how exciting it was. I don’t remember if the collection was well received or not but I still can feel the experience. The party that evening was where I met Elyse, though only in passing. A few months later, both looking for a place to live, we met again and recalled our first meeting.

I was wandering around the party looking for my sister feeling somewhat under dressed. Not under dressed in not dressy enough but hopelessly unfashionable. I felt bad about that since I was wearing my favorite outfit and something that I’d been complimented on several times. But alas as I was learning this is Paris and the bar is higher.

Someone tugged at my arm, it was Grace, and she was engaged in an intense conversation with an older woman whom I recognized as fashion royalty, a sort of duchess I guess. They stood across from each other exchanging short crisp sentences. Grace was mostly listening and at a break introduced me. The duchess extended her hand, smiled and said “nice to meet you,” with as much warmth as an ice cube and then went back to telling Grace what she wanted. I kept quiet and looked around. Then
she walked past, a reigning princess of Hollywood. The duchess stopped talking and both she and Grace turned to look at her, the duchess said, “You know what to do.” And clattered off on her Manolo’s to chase the princess.

Grace turned her attention to me, “What's that you're wearing?”

So here we are between Fashion Week New York and Fashion Week Paris with the troops in Milan. While looking forward to spring is always in style, right now I’m more concerned with the coming season and what to wear.

Shall we look at some of the options?

Alberta Ferretti


Alberta Ferretti

I'm kind of intrigued by the look, very wearable particularly the outfit on the right.


Alexander McQueen


Alexander McQueen

I like the outfit to the left. The others I could see myself in if I were ten or fifteen years older.

Balenciaga


Balenciaga

Not much here I'm crazy about.

Chanel


Chanel

Chanel again


Chanel again

Hmmm. Maybe I can be the type of girl who sleeps around in order to keep herself in fancy clothes.

Prada


Prada

There is something about Prada. It's so urbane and edgy, but you can still wear it to a business meeting.

Zac Posen


Zac Posen

Zac Posen again


Zac Posen again

Zac has been rapped for this collection and the spring 2006 collection for being unimaginative. Maybe, but I could wear any of these. The green strapless to the left in particular. Probably because it reminds me of my own Zac.


Calvin Klein


Calvin Klein

Calvin Klein 1


Klein again

The criticism of Calvin Klein since Calvin retired has been customers don't know what the collection stands for. Maybe, maybe not. But speaking as a small person the simple lines and lack of adornment means that I'm likely to look good in the clothing.

Klein and Narcisco Rodriguez


Klein and Narcisco Rodriguez

Narcisco Rodriguez


Rodriguez again

I'll take them all.

Proenza Schouler


Proenza Schouler

Proenza Schouler has produced some of the most quiet, lovely collections during the last couple of seasons.

Proenza Schouler - Stella McCartney


Proenza Schouler - Stella McCartney

Stella, Stella, Stella. I like the boots.

Stella McCartney


Stella McCartney

Two very nice suits. Just the thing for a well dressed career girl. And I like the boots.

McCartney boots


I want those boots!!!

Kim

3 Comments:

Blogger Garrison Steelle said...

Awww, did you do this just for me? ;)

Sadly, though, I'm not impressed by what I'm seeing. In fact, my general reaction is that there is a dramatic absence of creativity, especially from the established lines. Calvin Klein? Please, it's nothing more than minute variations on a theme we already had memorized. D&G? Pardon me while I yawn. I REALLY expected a lot more from them. A lot.

And you KNOW I could go on.

-G

4:51 PM  
Blogger Sara Max said...

Yes, the boots are so awesome. The coolest thing is that they're not made of real leather -- completely animal-corpse free!
i love it when high-end designers show that you don't have to kill things to have quality materials and good style.

animalchic.blogspot.com

7:13 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Sara, you're correct about the main stream press not noting McCartney's commitment of animal free products.

A fact that I'd forgotten.

Kim

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home