Tuesday, September 06, 2005

The shower went great. Dear, sweet people making an effort to please someone who they don’t know and someone who is one of their children.

Maybe its age, maybe because some time has passed and I’m seeing that place through different eyes, but its not so bad. When I left for college I never looked back and didn’t care if I ever returned. The first inkling I had that I was wrong about where I grew up was at my mother’s funeral. None of my family had any contact with the community even mom had been gone several years. We chose to wake and have her service there because she mentioned to each of us how the time she had spent in that little town on the river had been the happiest time of her life. We weren’t prepared for the outpouring of support we were shown by the people that had been our friends and neighbors.

Immediately after the shower Mike took E and I to the airport. E is going to her parent’s for a few days and then returning to Paris to oversee the final preparations for the wedding. I am at my maternal grandparents on the Carolina coast.

*****************

My grandfather sent a car to pick me up. It's an odd feeling for me to have a driver waiting. I don't know if I can get accustomed to that. Today I played golf with him and a few of his buddies, just nine holes followed by lunch where my grandmother joined us. It has been nice to visit with them; I wish I had allowed more time. In the morning I’m traveling to Washington to see my paternal grandfather.

Kim

2 Comments:

Blogger Pete from Cal said...

Glad to see you are enjoying your stay and has a good time. You're right about how our perspective on things change as we aged; hopefully for the better! Enjoy the rest of your time in the staes. Take care!

12:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"our perspective on things change as we aged"

And I suspect most readers are under thirty; wait until you view it from fifty-nine.

Good luck in the next thirty years.

Iowa

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home