Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Just after six I walked through my door having returned from a meeting. My ‘puter was squawking on the desk the telltale sign of a Skype call. It was Amy with the news that she and Rachel have broken up. This wasn’t a surprise; over the last few months Rach has been telling me about the troubles in their relationship. And it wasn’t a surprise that Amy called with the news. She’s always been the adult in their relationship and while Rach is one of my oldest and closest friends I know she is less than willing to take responsibility for her own failures.

But I was surprised to learn from Amy that Rachel has been having an affair; a woman who she met through some legal aid volunteering that she did over the summer. This was the final straw for Amy who moved to an apartment that her parent’s own downtown and about which she joked that her younger brother will now need to find somewhere else to bring his girlfriends.

Amy and I talked for over an hour. She cried a lot, the two of them have been together for nearly five years and she expected them to last a lifetime. Occasionally when we were together I’d ask them when they were going to be married, they’d always got a bit embarrassed and a bit wistful and say someday and Amy would always repeat in a whisper “someday.”

I tried calling Rachel, she wasn’t home or didn’t answer, and each would be as likely as the other. After that I went for a walk hoping that Paris would works its magic.

Kim

2 Comments:

Blogger Garrison Steelle said...

One never truly knows what mist blows on an autumn wind.

-G

12:10 AM  
Blogger Pete from Cal said...

Breakups are always hard. It is especially sad when you are friends with both parties. It makes you lose faith in relationship in general, no? You're a good friend being there for her. Hope things work out for Amy and Rachel as they choose a new path. Wish you well! :)

1:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home