Wednesday, December 07, 2005

A nice evening spent skating at the rink by the Hôtel de Ville with Judith and later meeting Chloe and Anne Marie for dinner. We finished and resisted the temptation of dessert so we just chatted. Too late I figured out I was being set up for a probing by my friends.

Chloe asked, “Kim when was the last time you had a date?” She knew the answer that question and AM decided that she saw an imaginary friend at the bar that she just needed to say hello to. “It’s been a while,” I replied defensively. “Maybe summer?” Judith asked. We all knew the answer. “We’re concerned,” she said, “you need to forget him it doesn’t seem he’s coming back. I didn’t say anything.

Part of it is I’m still pining over Dmitri and part of it is I don’t want to put myself in the dilemma I found myself with D, having a part of my life I can’t share and finding myself falling in love. I looked over to the bar as AM glanced over at us as she chatted up some guy.

I’m not surprised that we had this conversation. At almost every get together in the last few months there has been an unattached friend of a friend and the ballet of making sure we meet and spend time talking is pretty transparent. I may not have written a book on fixing up friends but I probably added a couple of footnotes.

Does coming close to having a date count? I’ve said yes twice, once the girl came down with the flu and needed to cancel and I never returned her call when she felt better. The other was a guy I met at a business event; he’s also starting a business and used a deadline as an excuse to cancel. I’m sure he sensed I was unenthusiastic and decided his time was better spent elsewhere.


Kim

3 Comments:

Blogger Garrison Steelle said...

I'm rather inclined to say when it's right you'll know it. Is there any reason to push?

-G

5:36 PM  
Blogger el Bow said...

I feel your pain, sister.

Actually I get the same lines from my friends. I think we're coming at it from different sides, though. I simply like being single and the head space that comes with it.

Good luck.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Pete from Cal said...

G has it right. When you're ready, you'll know it. Besides, I totally agree with you not being able to share yourself completely with someone is a problem when you are falling for him/her and just risk being hurt again. Too bad writing in your blog and sharing your night with us doesn't count as a date. Otherwise, you are very popular in cyberspace! *wink* Hahah... :) Take care!

4:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home