Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Having one or more long-term contracts with clients would greatly enhance Kim & Co’s stability. Till this point I have had good activity but the engagements have been very limited in scope and duration. Now when I have a project I have been subcontracting the project management so I can focus on finding additional business, this makes sense but it’s expensive. An extended project would allow me to hire a project manager and as I had smaller projects I could just give them to her. Today was my first opportunity to receive a one-year agreement. I submitted my proposal before Christmas and last week they called and asked if I was interested in doing a live presentation to the search committee.

That was this morning. I was nervous. My appointment was at 10 and I had twenty minutes. As I arrived the first group was leaving, there were three of them. As I left the final group was in the waiting room, there were four of them, I was alone. The presentation went well, they asked some tough questions that I feel I handled well. Late in the afternoon my contact called to tell me that they had selected a different company.

************************

Rachel is arriving Saturday. When she learned that I was going to Miami with Amy she invited herself to Paris. I’m looking forward to seeing her.

Kim

4 Comments:

Blogger Pete from Cal said...

I'm so sorry Kim. I was expecting you to get the project until I got to the end of the sentence. I know you did well and there'll be plenty more projects for Kim&Co to come.

Are Rachel and Amy fighting for Kim's affection now that they're separated? I wish things would be whole again for them. Best wishes to them.

2:28 AM  
Anonymous VJ said...

Better luck next time Kim. You might ask a member of the committee if you can as to why they went for the other group over you. Normally single practitioner outfits means more individual attention and closer relationships with clients. That's a niche sort of market that you have to develop and sell. What you're selling is your attention to detail, and them not getting lost in the needless 'bureaucracy' of your competitors. It's a thought. Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'

8:55 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I did get feedback from my contact. It had less to do with me (or the other runner up) than the managers had comfort with the other company as a couple of members of that team had done work for the buyer before.

None of the agencies were large. The biggest has twelve employees.

Pete: Rach and Amy are not competing for Kim's affections. Kim has become sort of a neutral arbitrator of their differences

12:42 PM  
Anonymous VJ said...

A not uncommon occurance in business Kim. You usually go with those you know. That's why it's hard to break in everywhere. Keep at it! Cheers, 'VJ'

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home