Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Home again, though cool today is bright and sunny. This afternoon I'm going to work from a small cafe that has wonderful light, a table by a window warmed by the sun. Tomorrow is February 1, spring will be here soon.

I love sarongs. They’re so easy to wear; step from the shower, wrap it around your body, tie it and your dressed, or pair it with at tee shirt and wrap it around your waist. Add a pair of sandals and your ready to go. Of course Caribbean weather allows this. When Kim & Co is successful I’m going to open an office on one of the Islands.


For this trip I could have packed all my things in an overnight envelope, but for the dinner parties Gavin planned at the house each evening and that meant packing dresses or buying them; so I did a bit of each. Except for the time when his children are here, his winter trips to the islands are business interspersed with a bit of play. Typically he brings his top management in and along with them clients and business partners. This year he decided to bring in up and coming employees of his companies so that he could get to know them with out their bosses around.

It turned out that all these employees were men, a problem that I pointed out to him and that he thanked me for noticing. They bring their wives or fiancées or come alone. Only one fellow brought a casual girlfriend who confided in me that she had only known him for a couple of weeks and she also complained to me that he had been uptight since they arrived. None brought male companions.

Tension is probably what all of them were feeling including the wives. I suspect they felt they were being evaluated and ranked and behaved accordingly. After Thursday evenings soirée I asked Gavin if that was what he was doing and he told me no, that their rise through his companies will be determined by the management of each and that he will only take part in those discussions when the position is at a senior management level.

At events of this type with Jacques, I am expected to be his eyes and ears and then report back to him. I asked Gavin if he had any special instruction and he told me to be pretty and act as his hostess.

Kim

3 Comments:

Blogger Pete from Cal said...

Ah, I miss Jacques and your time with him. I was hoping he would have need for your service again.

It's good that Gavin is not asking you to be his spy(eyes&ears) and you can actually have a more relaxing time. Did you get a chance to watch the Australian Open with him?

10:56 PM  
Blogger Cath said...

"...be pretty and act as his hostess." Doesn't he realise the brains he has at his disposal?.... Piffle... Men!

5:12 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Pete, no tennis this year, too much was happening during the days. Regarding Jacques, he has engaged me for a period during the Olympics.

K

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home