Friday, January 13, 2006

This morning as I watched him reading the paper, I realized that Peter reminds me of Dmitri. Not physically, Peter is several inches taller with a wiry build, close cropped, thinning blond hair and blue eyes while Dmitri is more muscular and broad chested with long black hair and eyes of the darkest brown with eye lashes that will make any woman envious. But their personality, both are quiet and intense. Both will listen to me prattle on and are patient with my eccentricies.

In the apartment that I shared with Elyse, D would bring a chair and the newspaper and read me the news while I made us breakfast. This morning Peter brought the paper and leaned on the doorjamb reading the paper and mentioning articles that I should read.

It makes sense that I’m attracted to people with similar personalities, and if that is what’s happening then fine. But what if I’m attracted to Peter because he reminds me of Dmitri. That’s another matter.

Kim

2 Comments:

Blogger Garrison Steelle said...

Why do we like the people we like? I think most our friends, espeically those with whom we are the most intimate, are going to share a number of distinguishable traits because those are the qualities that attract us to them in the first place.

2:00 PM  
Blogger el Bow said...

If you find yourself responding to P in a way the is out of step for the moment, but is like how you might have responded to D, because of some characteristic of D that P does not share - it could be a problem.

The closest psychological parallel that I can think of is transference.

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home