Thursday, February 23, 2006

I met with my business coach this morning. After speaking with him I’ve firmed up my decision to hire my first employee. I’m scared to death but having contractors for all my projects is simply getting too expensive.

Initially I hoped to have a long-term contract or one of at least six months that would cover this salary. That hasn’t happened but I am getting a pretty regular stream of business and there is no reason for that not to continue and also to grow. The next month is pretty booked with a project in Paris in conjunction with the Fall 06 fashion shows and nearly two weeks in Geneva for the auto show. Assuming of course than Kim & Co. continues to perform.

When I contract for someone they get a premium over what I may pay an employee for the same number of hours. The benefit to me being that I don’t pay them if the work isn’t there, but right now that equation is upside down and a full time employee would actually be cheaper.
Among my contractors there are a couple of individuals who I would be comfortable with as an employee, I’ll be notifying them to see if they are interested in trading the uncertainties of free agency for the predictability of wage slavery.

BTW. Anne Marie has finally dumped Erika, she reports that she hasn't felt so good in months.

Kim

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have just taken the same step and appointed my first full time employee. Terrifying!

Good luck with your searching.

HK Scot

10:05 PM  
Anonymous VJ said...

Sounds like a good start there Kim. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

12:59 PM  
Blogger Pete from Cal said...

Congrats to Kim&Co for deciding to have its first full time employee. Where does the rest of us who wants a job with Kim&Co applies? :)

Glad AM is able to cut the string with Erika. Was Erika in a relationship with AM along with others? How are you and Peter doing? :) Just nosey. :P

4:27 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

As VJ refers to it the circus is ongoing and yes Erika has other lovers, at least one I know of. And camps out at Peter's but I don't ask the details. We're doing fine but we're not to the point of dealing with that issue.

K

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home