Monday, February 27, 2006

Models live weird lives. I (and many women) have a twisted attitude about my body and my appearance, now imagine being sixteen and to be valued only for how you look and have the pressure of lifting your family’s financial boat.

I was gathering my things preparing to leave after one of the shows when a girl approached. We’ve never been introduced but she was familiar having been on the Paris runways since I arrived. “Are you going to ___?” Mentioning another venue. I nodded affirmatively. “Can I join you?” She asked, and then asked, “how are you getting there,” as an afterthought. I told her I had a car and her face brightened and she asked me to wait while she got her bag.

As I waited for her I wondered what this was all about. Elyse once told me that for much of her professional life she seemed to know no one outside of fashion and modeling but her family and there came a point where she knew she needed to make friends in the real world. Maybe that is where this girl is.

We retrieved Waldo and pulled out of the garage into the nightmare that is Paris traffic, the girl, Hanna, reclined the seat back and slouched staring out the passenger window. I glance at her; she is maybe twenty, twenty-two but the weariness in her face makes her appear much older. After several minutes and only two blocks she asked, “What do you do? I see you at the shows and I know you’re not with the press or the designers?”

I told her and then she asked how I knew Elyse, I explained that. I was getting a bit irritated with her questions as her tone was that of a spoiled child and then she decided to formerly introduce herself and ask my name. She repeated my last name like she was trying to associate it with some one or thing. Finally she said, “There was a…,” she swallowed the next word, “who was at _________.” “My sister,” I responded and what ever she was going to say next she stuffed.

We were quiet for a bit and then she asked whom I worked for and when I told her it was my own company she seemed impressed. “You’re not much older than I am and you own your own business.” She asked a lot of questions about that and only stopped when we reached our destination. As she got out of the car she asked for my card and gave me her and then asked if it was all right if she called. I told her it was.

As I parked Waldo I thought about Hanna she’s a third tier, at best second tier model. She works regularly and I’m sure makes a good living, but she’ll never have the payday that comes with being the face of a fashion house or of a cosmetic line nor as long a career as a top model. Maybe she’d beginning to think about life after the runway?

***************************

I spoke with my dad about joining me in a real estate investment. He is willing but has some questions. And like VJ wonders he asked if I didn't already have enough going on. I told him I have some research to do prior to investing; primarily determining just what the day to day issues are. One thing I do know is that I do not have time to doing the active management, so I need to find out if it is feasible to outsource that when you only have a six or twelve unit building.

Kim

3 Comments:

Blogger Pete from Cal said...

the modeling/fashion world is know to be cut throat. Hearing your comment about her being 3rd tier is so sad... if that's the case, it would be good for her to think about like after modeling early.

4:29 AM  
Anonymous VJ said...

Don't know what to make of Hanna. I guess every kid could use a friend, and you just never know when it might come in handy. Was your sister in Paris doing anything special? Perhaps she chose you for a reason too. You looked more than familiar to her.

But even for a very small bloc of 6-12 units, I think the safe bet is that you'll need to hire out someone reliable to manage it for you. It can work, but it's another thing to worry about too. Sounds like your having fun with the wardrobe too. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

11:14 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Grace wasn't here as she no longer is involved in fashion or in ribbons and bows as my uncle refers to it.

K

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home