Friday, May 26, 2006

It was a little before eleven when I arrived home, my new home. I was tired, and a bit lazy so I took a taxi from the train rather than the Metro. When I got in the taxi I began giving the driver the old address and then corrected myself.

When I opened the door and flipped on the light everything was in place, it made me smile. There was a note on the table from the mover with a list of what was where and the boxes that were put in storage. I was too tired to deal with anything so I headed for the bedroom and undressed. In the bath I found my toothbrush sitting in its cup and the toothpaste on the shelf next to the mirror.

In the morning after showering I pulled on a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and walked about the apartment with a cup of coffee looking at my furniture. As I looked at each piece I wondered what possessed me to place this stuff in storage. Elyse and I acquired the couch, chair and dinette set at a flea market. At the time our priorities were, price, price, and condition. Quality and style were two things we couldn’t worry about. It wasn’t so much that these pieces are ugly as they are kind of frumpy and first apartment out of college like, which of course they were.

Buying new furniture has been in my plans, but now I’m tempted to run out today and replace everything. I’ll stifle that urge as what would happen is that I’d walk into one store and say I’ll take that, that and that. The apartment would then look like a furniture show room. I don’t want that. So for now I’ll get the things I need, a desk, an office chair and a cabinet for files and to hide all the electronic stuff like the printer and stereo components.

The movers did a good job putting things in logical places but I still need to poke everywhere and see what is where. I planned on pretty much taking today off and getting comfortable in the apartment. Later I need to go past Juliette’s daughter’s house and collect the pugs. I’m sure that it is chaos there with a toddler, a Great Pyrenees and two pugs.

As I sat on the couch I looked about the room,
possessions often trigger memories and seeing this furniture again triggered some for me. Two young women standing in a parking lot on a warm June day, the furnishing of an apartment about them with no way to get it home. Two guys volunteered to help and they called a third friend with another car. One was a quiet, dark haired man with intense eyes. He would fall in love with one of the girls, she would deceive him and too late she would realize how much she loved him.

Kim

2 Comments:

Blogger Pete from Cal said...

welcome to your new home! I remember when you first posted about that flea market experience with Elyse. We were there, Kim! Packing and unpacking brings back memories; good or bad. This one just happens to be bitter, sweet. Too bad it didn't have a happy ending for our favorite heroine. We all know the boy loved the girl just as much! Only wish it turned out differently. Take care!

3:17 AM  
Anonymous VJ said...

It's very good news that the move went so well Kim. That is another thing that would be hard to pull off in America. And if I've got the analogy right, I don't think you actively deceived him. You just did not correct his assumptions and perhaps his misapprehensions. Again, that's not unusual in most relationships. I can not speak to the depths of his love, but I guess we can regret that it did not turn out a bit better for all around.

It took us many, many years before we disposed of our 'early period' furniture. I'm looking at a filing cabinet that was salvaged from an old work place, and a dresser from my youth that's one of the cheapest things I've ever seen. So you might slowly add to your collection as needed. We still have our full collection of milk crates from our college period 'book cases'. I recently learned that they are no longer making that style of milk crates, and now most of them (now in the garage) are antiques! (Just like us I imagine). Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

3:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home