Friday, June 30, 2006

When you’re paying attention to other things some how your life gets rearranged and new responsibilities get added that you never considered. A year ago I was a happy go lucky girl responsible for no one but myself heading off on a road trip that promised romance and discovery.

Yesterday, I met with Mimi and my contractor to talk about our projects and to make sure we are on the same page. Later when we were alone Mimi asked how finding work for the fall is going? She is as aware as me that after the auto show in Paris it’s pretty bleak for Kim & Co. I’m not ready to panic as there are a number of proposals pending and we only need one. If we get to August and nothing has changed I’ll panic, but I could hear the worry in her voice and I knew she was counting on me.

Earlier in the week I received calls from two people that I’ve contracted to work on various projects. They wondered if there was anything coming up? There’s not, in the near term because I contracted with a fellow on a full time basis for a few months and treat him like an employee and the fall problem.

This week it hit home that others are counting on me to take care of them, not exclusively of course, but enough. I called my grandfather (mom’s dad) to talk about this, he listened like he always does and then asked me some questions and when we were through I remember that I never considered this responsibility when I decided to go into business.

****************************

As a family we’re pretty spread out, but we want to have an annual time where we all get together. Christmas is too difficult so we decided that the 4th would be a better time. Juliette offered her family’s farm, a summer house now, in the west. A nice touch is that she and Dad invited my mother’s parents to join us. My grandmother called me, she made grand dad set it up and she was excited saying she hadn’t seen us all together since Grace’s wedding. They arrived this morning on the same plane as Kenny's family.

To help out I'm traveling this evening to the farm to ensure that the preparations are complete and to be there when the others arrive as they coming from London via Calais in the morning and my arrive earlier than the group from Paris.

Kim

4 Comments:

Blogger Pete from Cal said...

Good luck with finding new projects for Kim&Co. If I'm not mistaken, isn't business slow during the summer as everyone take vacation there? I'm sure something will turn up soon with the great work Kim&Co does. Doing business for yourself is one thing but having an employee is another so I can imagine the pressure you're under. Hang in there!

Family get together is the only way to stay in touch with everyone when you're spread out in different part of the country/world. Enjoy your 4th of July in Paris! Take care!

3:02 AM  
Blogger chuck6457 said...

I happened upon your blog and ended up reading all of the Easykimmie archives and all of the Mercurial Girl archives over the last week. I feel like I have been on an emotional rollercoaster. I really want your business to take off and wish you the best of luck.
I had one question and maybe I missed this. I wonder if you could comment on the origin of the term "Mercurial Girl"?

8:18 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Chuck. First thanks for visiting. When I was ready to move beyond the Easykimmie I looked for name for a new blog that would reflect both my two lives, geek by day, hooker by night, and my struggles with mood swings.

I played with a few other names but wasn't satisfied when walking home from coffee Mercurial Girl popped into my head. I checked and the name was (amazingly) available on Blogger, though the URL wasn't, so I grabbed it.

Knowing that words often have obscure meanings beyond how they are commonly used I looked up mercurial in the dictionary and found the descriptions for the tag line under the title.

Kim

10:53 PM  
Blogger chuck6457 said...

Hi Kim,
thanks for writing this blog it is fun to read. Mercury salts were used for many years to tan beaver hides for top hats. All of the hatters went crazy because the mercury would collect in the brain and cause insanity. Thus the term "mad as a hatter". I wondered if you were driving the men in your life similarly crazy.

I can't get the image of you telling your boy friend that you were a prostitute out of my head. That is powerful stuff.
Be well and good luck with your business. I'd hire you in a heartbeat...

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home