Monday, July 10, 2006

Sunday morning Jacques decided that the proper place to watch France contest Italy for the World Cup was in France and called to have the company plane sent. I reflected on that for a second, I just heard him call for an airplane in the manner most of us call for a cab, at some point in my life I’m not going to believe that I witnessed such doings.

It had been our plan to fly home at the end of the weekend with the return of the red rocket ship to Paris being entrusted to a lucky young man in Jacques employ. Our schedule had us leaving after the game started and now we wanted to be in Paris by gave time. I suspect this change caused a bit of a fire drill at the other end, tracking down the pilots and the driver and pushing up the duties that need to be executed before the plane could take off

A car and driver were waiting for us when we arrived. It was near game time and Jacques instructed the driver to find a café where we could watch the telecast. We pulled in to a neighborhood place in a far Paris suburb. The driver couldn’t stifle a smile when Jacques told him that he didn’t need to stay with the car but could go in and watch the game. The place was packed and the emotions of the crowd rose and fell with what was happening in Germany. In the end France’s old men couldn’t prevail and the crowd turned to reminding itself how much fun it was to get here.

Kim

4 Comments:

Anonymous VJ said...

Enduring idiocy is a much neglected force in history, but it's quite a powerful draw. I'll wait for the 'official explanations', but not for the book. I've got that one. Cheers, 'VJ'

8:37 AM  
Blogger Pete from Cal said...

All of France must be disappointed in how the game ended. Thank you for your perspective on the World Cup from France. Did you ever feel the soccer fever living there? I, too, cannot imagine how it would feel to be able to call for a plane as if I'm hailing a cab. It must be nice to have the mean to do so. :)

5:30 AM  
Anonymous VJ said...

This just in; new never seen before pics of the tragic event:
[http://www.flickr.com/photos/boedker/186663959/]
Cheers, 'VJ'

8:46 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Pete: I'm not a big football fan and I've been so busy that I didn't allow myself the time to let other's enthusiasms infect me.

Money does buy convenience and makes some practical problems melt away, but that is about its limits.

VJ: I think Jacques is beginning his mid life crisis and he's been giving in to all these boyish enthusiasms that he would defer in order to work. We're also going to Monterey for the vintage car races.

K

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home