Monday, August 07, 2006

There were seven of us sitting around the pool. A dark haired man was engaged in a long profane rant about Shiites and Jews, but he is Lebanese and arguably has cause. When he was finished he turned to me and said, “If you are Jewish I do not mean that personally.” I told him I wasn’t, I noted to myself that he didn’t extend the same apology to the Russian girl who I suspect was Jewish. In the corner a stocky man with close cropped salt and pepper hair smirked, “Ah Ruz, think of how much money you’ll make rebuilding Beirut again.” My date, a German told me that the stocky man is an Iranian exile with no love for the current régime.

The Russian girl got up and walked around the pool at the summons of the Iranian whom she accompanied, and sat at his feet. As she walked past I couldn’t help but think I’d seen before and noting that she was very pretty, but very hard. When I got home a few visits to thumbnail galleries revealed why she was familiar. The remainder of our group was a sullen Serb who made me uncomfortable and a chatty Italian girl, a veritable UN on the Mediterranean.

The German was in the pool flirting with the Italian and occasionally shooting me a glance to see if I noticed. I’d wink or smile and he’d turn his attention back to her. He is someone I’ve seen before though this is the first time for a weekend.

The pool itself isn’t much, a glorified hot tub really, but the fact that it is one the back deck of a yacht makes it impressive. Who owns the yacht or who is chartering is left unsaid and there are things you don’t ask. The German is pretty loose with other’s secrets so he’s likely to tell me.

After the Lebanese leaves the men begin to talk in hushed voices and after a few minutes the Serb dismisses the women. As we file out I’m at the back and can’t help but think to myself that high heels with bikinis look silly.

Kim

5 Comments:

Anonymous VJ said...

Almost sounds like a start to one of those James Bond epics from the 1960's. A polyglot cast of strange, vaguely criminal rouges left over from the last series of unresolved global conflicts wildly flirting with the ready available feminine talent imported specifically for the heady job of entertaining the bored & rue clients and soothing over their troubled staid business lives. You'll need a set designer, better clothes, and a small caliber auto or dagger. And of course the Hollywood smile. I know you've got that down pat. Enjoy yourself & watch out for the man in the eyepatch. Or the Serb. Or that Russian. Or the Iranian... Geez take some pics will you and come up with some better plotting! Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

11:18 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Or something boring, like construction intersecting with oil and how to slice off a bit of business for each other.

If you want intrigue, I’m betting the boat owned by the Saudi prince that had people coming and going like they were having a half price sale was more interesting. In the end our little group was interested in more prosaic things, food, drink and sex.

But Friday afternoons pools scene was odd for the reason you noted VJ.

K

12:48 PM  
Blogger Pete from Cal said...

Somehow I can't imagine you as one the arm candies for this group of questionable men. They definitely look and sound shady. But the idea of you and the other gals in bikinis and high heels sound strangely attractive. Did they request you ladies wear high heels with your bikinis? :) Oh you never mentioned why that Russian gal was familiar or where you'd seen her before.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Southern said...

Recently found your blog..I like the short pieces...i didn't catch were the events occured on the boat but guess on the Med somewhere in the south of France?

7:41 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Yes, the south of France.

K

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home