Thursday, September 07, 2006

For a few months I’ve been following the blog of Tui, a heroine addict in Montreal. Hers is not the only blog by individuals consumed by drugs. Heroine Girl of course is in recovery and it is hard not to be cheered by the enthusiasm that she expresses about the success in her life or to cheer her on and encourage her on her days of struggle. Comfortably Numb simply struggles to keep her life together. Tui is somewhere in between, smart and lovely with a responsible day job and an addict nonetheless who is entering treatment.

Intellectually I know how and on some level why people get involved with addictive drugs, but I really don’t understand why. If that makes sense. Alcoholism I understand or a gambling addiction, the person starts participating socially and they become consumed by it. But with addictive drugs the end result of use is pretty evident so why start?

Lord knows I have my own self-destructive behaviors that have been out of control and maybe I simply made a different choice.

*******************************

The Teds have called. New York Ted wants me to come to NY soon and spend some time with him, though as our conversation went on I believe he intended to call someone else. I told him it would be November before I could come and suggested he come to Paris or London. He doesn’t want to fly – too much of a hassle.

I figured Paris Ted’s surfacing was inevitable so I asked him if he finally got around to the Ks in his Rolodex. He guffawed at that and asked me to go with him to Tuscany for a weekend. Tempting, but he planned it for the weekend of Leah’s wedding. I didn’t tell him why, only that I was busy, he doesn’t deserve a reason. But damn he even sounds sexy on the phone.

************************

Work has been all consuming since I’ve been back. The Paris auto show starts soon and a bunch of details need to be finalized. Plus I’m preparing a proposal for my client’s 2007 business. Unfortunately they wouldn’t give me the biz with out going through the proposal process

I forgot to mention, I had a birthday a couple of weeks ago. I guess the only reason its significant is that I won’t have trouble renting cars in the US and likely I’ll no longer be eligible for jeune fille pricing, if any designer would want to offer it to me.

Kim

5 Comments:

Blogger tui said...

Because you wondered, this is what happened to me. I've never been addicted to anything else. Usually I have fads, and just get sick of things.

I tried heroin 7 years ago, and used it casually until a year ago. I wasn't afraid of it. I knew the risks, I told myself. It was a combination of circumstances that made me use too much... But basically, the sudden death of a friend sent me reeling into depression. This is when heroin tastes the best. It numbed away my pain, and I needed it. The addiction creeps up, it feels like forever since you've used, even if it's just one day. The mind plays tricks. It becomes harder and harder to sleep without it. But you need to sleep for an important job, so you use three days in a row. That's all takes, three days and you have a physical addiction. We're talking going cold turkey. Which is an easy thing to procrastinate doing. You're busy, no time off work, you have visitors, etc. etc.

Now my comment is longer than your post.

Thanks for reading my blog. I like yours a lot. Tui

7:48 PM  
Blogger Gillette said...

From my favorite Birthday Song:

Happy Birthday
I wish you many more
Health and Wealth and
Friends by the Score.
Cut the cake and let's
Eat some more.
Happy Birthday to you!!!

5:29 AM  
Anonymous VJ said...

Happy BirthDay Kim! You're younger than I thought! Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'

12:30 PM  
Blogger Pete from Cal said...

Cheers to you and your birthday Kim! Hope you got a chance to go out and celebrate. Funny you can finally rent a car in the US now. :D For some reason, I thought you're in your late 20s ad not mid 20s. *shrug*

The Teds are back! Too bad you can't connect with either of them because you always have good stories to tell afterward. I know you and 'NY Ted' are on a professional basis but isn't 'Paris Ted' more of a social friend instead?

7:57 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Yes Paris Ted is a social relation, hard to call him a friend or even a fuck buddy.

K

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home