Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Me: Over Thanksgiving I want to come visit you.

Raymond: Thanksgiving! That’s great…

Me to myself: Sigh, little smile.

Him: Great. I’m going to Mom’s. I’ll let her know. I’m sure it’ll be OK. She wanted to know all about the wedding.

Me to myself: Hmmm. Paris we have a problem.

Me: Uh, Raymond, what I mean is I want to visit you in Indianapolis. I want to see where you live. Where you work. Meet your friends. Stuff like that.

Him: Oh…

Him: But I always go home for Thanksgiving. Mom and Dad have the whole family over and Mom cooks a couple of turkeys…

Me: silence. It’s better to let him come around on his own.

Him: I, I guess we could stay here. Mom’ll be disappointed.

Me: I stuff the urge to say; she’ll get over it, in a nice way of course. Too patronizing.

Me: Thank you Raymond. This will be the best Thanksgiving.

Him: Uh, what will we do about dinner?

Me: I’ll make dinner. Invite your friends and we’ll have a party.

Him: You? Yeah Robert and David said you’re a fantastic cook.

Me: to myself. True, but the comparison is too easy, neither Grace nor Leah can boil water.

Kim

4 Comments:

Blogger Pete from Cal said...

oh boy, looks like Raymond is a work in progress and has some growing up to do. But kudos to him for trying. I just hope his family doesn't resent you for taking him away on Thanksgiving.

4:22 AM  
Anonymous VJ said...

They'll get over it, eventually. All guys at this age are 'works in progress', (ok, Hell almost any age).

The wife still talks about our first Thanksgiving alone. I picked out a swell place I could barely afford a little way down the pike. It looked like a fine & decent place. I had eaten there before on dates. That Thanksgiving we had what amounted to lunchroom turkey roll and a bunch of forgettable sides that would have made even the ARA lunch room ladies cringe. She's never let me forget it. I made her miss her mommas pies for this crap. We giggle about it still. We now do Thanksgiving at the 4 Seasons. It's easier that way. No mess, no fuss, and everyone is on their best behavior. I hope things will go much better for you folks! Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

8:08 AM  
Anonymous VJ said...

Cool clothes for the kids:
[http://dethroner.com/]
Cheers, 'VJ'

11:21 AM  
Anonymous VJ said...

More sites for the boys & their very expensive new toys... Cheers, 'VJ'

[http://www.gizmag.com/]

9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home