Monday, September 11, 2006

One morning while in NYC, I was reading an article in the Times regarding the Trade Center Memorial and the disputes around it. I began thinking about the events of that day and some of the pictures of the site that were published in the days following. I remembered there was a sculpture of a globe that was situated on the plaza. I don’t remember the sculptor’s name, or that of the piece, but I remembered pictures of it battered after the collapse and later at Fresh Kills. It struck me that the sculpture, battered and dented could serve as an elegant memorial to that day and wondered what happened to it.

Later I was in a taxi, headed downtown for an assignation, my client called to say he’d be an hour late. Since it was a beautiful day I had the driver drop me at Battery Park (?). As I strolled through the park I found the sculpture, marked with an eternal flame and a plaque. There were about twenty people observing it, mostly tourist, but some business people, and as my eyes moistened I thought it does make a good memorial.

Kim

2 Comments:

Blogger Pete from Cal said...

we shall never forget. prayers to those who lost loved ones on 9/11.

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Seán O'Brien said...

I saw that while on honeymoon with my wife in NYC last year. It's a very moving piece of work, still scared from that day. Here is a photo for those who haven't seen it.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home