Thursday, November 30, 2006

Yesterday was a dispiriting day. But let’s start with the positive. Three of us went to ‘Wishful Drinking’ Carrie Fisher’s one-woman show last evening it was wonderful. When she spoke of her struggles with bipolar disorder and trying to raise a child, I could close my eyes and imagine my mother. The laughter and the tears were cathartic and after my day I needed it.

A couple of weeks ago the vice president of marketing with whom I’ve been working and who was an advocate for Kim & Co. was replaced. I never saw anything that warned me and he never betrayed anything, but in retrospect there were hints. A confidant told me that while no one has a bad thing to say about us, there were advocates for a competitor and that difference became a point of debate internally.

If that were all, things would just blow over but the new VP made it pretty clear that she doesn’t believe they have a need for organizations such as mine. She told me straight out in a private meeting she’s stuck with me for next year so I have this time to prove her wrong. So much for sisterhood.

It will be disappointing if this doesn’t become a multi year partnership, but I had some speculative discussions about K&Co providing additional services that would have allowed me to broaden our offerings and that’s dead. I’m glad that rather than hiring another staff person I brought him on as a contractor.

Today was better we focused on planning for the events and the general marketing program. I may of scored a point when I corrected an assumption they were making about the European market.

Now, what time to I get home?


Kim

7 Comments:

Anonymous VJ said...

Sorry for the strum and drang Kim, but it's pretty common with a small business operation. I've not seen Carrie's show, but you'd not believe how common it is to struggle with a mental illness alone & untreated, for years. It's probably one of the more common aliments that goes undiagnosed. In any case, hope you see the lights of home soon. Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'

9:45 AM  
Blogger niadarkandlovely said...

Kim,

I am sorry about the changes you have to go through.

It is awful when you do not see something coming, and people do not have the decency to warn you. I guess that is business for you.

Good luck.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Pete from Cal said...

Does this new VP has some preconceived notion about Kim&Co or small business in general? Why is she so closed minded before she even know what K&Co can do for her? I'm sure K&Co will prove itself and show her how valuable a partner it is.

I heard about the LA Autoshow and the new designs it will exhibit. Looks like it's going to be a great show. Hope you'll be able to return home soon. Take care!

2:51 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Pete: Her views really have nothing to do with K&Co but are a business choice as to whether to outsource or insource capabilities.

In some ways it doesn't matter how well we perform if she doesn't recognize the value.

Regarding the auto show, except for a quick walk around on press day I didn't see any of it and now I'm home.

K

5:46 PM  
Anonymous VJ said...

I'll reprise the autoshow for you then. Still & as always, the cars on offer were wildly over priced for their value, and on average got about 10MPG less than most foreign models. True, most tend to be overpowered & oversized, but this is hardly needed anywhere. And they needed all the babes & bon mots they could muster to sell more of these turkey's to the masses. Sound familiar? Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'

2:02 AM  
Blogger desert diamond said...

I heard that was a good show. I get torn, though. I actually work in social services and have a family member with mental illness also, so sometimes I shy away from these things - they hit too close to home.

3:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is encouraging that you've got a full year's worth of incomings and the chance to prove your value to the organisation. The potential of that for gains and growth shouldn't be outshadowed by the possibility that it won't go well.

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home