Thursday, February 08, 2007


Grace saved for me, Cathy Horn’s NYT article, ‘Citizen Anna,’ on Anna Wintour, the editor of Vogue and the putative inspiration for the ogre in “The Devil Wears Prada.” The first point of interest is how does Kim get on Anna’s list of women to whom she has designers’ loan dresses… But of a more practical interest was the description of how Wintour has injected herself into the fashion business as a promoter of talent and matchmaker between designers and fashion houses.

When Kim & Co. first opened, my initial clients came from a few sources, other agencies for whom I freelanced, business acquaintances of Juliette’s and Dad’s, and one of Jacques’ directors, who knows me as J’s sometimes girlfriend. More recently our business has come as the result of referrals and my sometimes-manic networking.

Like a lot of women I have a bit of Emma Woodhouse in me and enjoy introducing mutual friends and acquaintances to see what develops. Now if I can move the focus from affairs of the heart to business affairs it could result in financial rewards and not just intrinsic ones. I was mulling this over as I dressed for my date with Mr. Hedge Fund.

Whatever additional business he has in Paris, is it immodest to say that it was Mr. HF's intention to woo me over dinner? Despite my letting him know I have a BF and consider myself unavailable. So the question in my mind was how do I shift the purpose of the evening…

Maybe it was because he’s rich, but the evening felt like I was with a client. First the inevitable hired car, then dinner at a three star restaurant that is booked forever, followed by dancing at a swanky club. It was a nice evening and he is a nice guy and even if he settled for a kiss on the cheek rather than an invitation to my bed (he suggested it), he is too good a prospect to toss away.

During the evening we talked a bit of business, it being his turn to grill me about Kim & Co. Names were mentioned and agreements to arrange introductions made and he learned about Paris’ most exclusive eatery, Café Kim. And that he has a standing invitation to join us when ever we open. After all I have many single GFs.

Grace and Robert Jr. are doing very well. Robert Sr. is a proud but befuddled father, though Grace reports he is a quick and willing learner.

Kim

2 Comments:

Anonymous VJ said...

You must have been impressed by Mr. HF to make such a standing offer for dinner. Either that or he's very rich indeed & not too annoying about it. Good to hear about Grace & Co too. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

2:38 AM  
Blogger Micky said...

About 3 years ago I dropped into a black hole – four months of absolute terror. I wanted to end my life, but somehow [Holy Spirit], I reached out to a friend who took me to hospital. I had three visits [hospital] in four months – I actually thought I was in hell. I imagine I was going through some sort of metamorphosis [mental, physical & spiritual]. I had been seeing a therapist [1994] on a regular basis, up until this point in time. I actually thought I would be locked away – but the hospital staff was very supportive [I had no control over my process]. I was released from hospital 16th September 1994, but my fear, pain & shame had only subsided a little. I remember this particular morning waking up [home] & my process would start up again [fear, pain, & shame]. No one could help me, not even my therapist [I was terrified]. I asked Jesus Christ to have mercy on me & forgive me my sins. Slowly, all my fear has dissipated & I believe Jesus delivered me from my “psychological prison.” I am a practicing Catholic & the Holy Spirit is my friend & strength; every day since then has been a joy & blessing. I deserve to go to hell for the life I have led, but Jesus through His sacrifice on the cross, delivered me from my inequities. John 3: 8, John 15: 26, are verses I can relate to, organically. He’s a real person who is with me all the time. I have so much joy & peace in my life, today, after a childhood spent in orphanages [England & Australia]. God LOVES me so much. Fear, pain, & shame, are no longer my constant companions. I just wanted to share my experience with you [Luke 8: 16 – 17].

Peace Be With You
Micky

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home