Sunday, February 18, 2007

It’s been about a year since I’ve had problems with insomnia, but after Christmas it started again, two or three fitful or sleepless nights every few weeks. Anne Marie is in Colorado skiing, having tired of waiting for snow in the Alps. But wouldn’t you know it a few days after she made her plans it snowed. With her gone I decided to join a group for a weekend trip. The trip has been a constant party from the time we met at the train station Friday evening.

Tonight I’m sharing a room with three other girls. I fell asleep quickly when I came to bed, but with in an hour I was wide awake. I tried to fall back asleep but after an hour or so gave up. Now I’m typing by the light of my monitor so as not to disturb the others.

When the insomnia started I again began tracking my depression markers and they are up. Not alarmingly and not impacting my life significantly, but enough to concern me, and enough to make everything just a bit harder. Thankfully I’ve not had a return of the anxiety. The last year to fifteen months have been so smooth and even that I began telling myself that everything was under control. I was fooling myself.

Tuesday I met with my therapist and he seconded my thoughts on asking my psychiatrist to review my medications. That appointment is on Thursday.

Kim

3 Comments:

Anonymous nomad said...

First time I have commented on your blog Kim but as a long term insomniac...

I find that getting up and doing email, reading or watching TV is an admission to myself that I will not get back to sleep before the morning, so in lieu of a willing partner to make use of the time, my personal method of dealing with insomnia is to have a radio tuned into a talk station all night and to wear a single earplug, to avoid disturbing a bedmate who doesn't want to be awake.

Personally I listen to "up all night" on BBC five live (available on an internet radio if you have one, or in London when you move), where the entire audiance appears to be fellow sufferers

Of co

2:46 PM  
Anonymous VJ said...

Yes, those were my 2 thoughts exactly. Get the drugs if you need them, and a better balance if so required. The 2nd thought was the BBC, which I listen to via shortwave at night for a similar issue. Of course now I've got the net to play with too, and that helps immensely. But talk radio has been the secret to many generations of insomniacs. Well before they invented C-Sann for those purposes! Cheers & Hope you're doing better soon! 'VJ'

6:32 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Thanks for the ideas.

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home