Thursday, March 01, 2007

The last couple of weeks have been extremely busy, but that is good as Raymond arrives in London Saturday and I’ve been obsessing over everything that can go wrong. I even dreamt the other night that he morphed into a man-sponge and sat around eating pork rinds and playing video games till the pub opened. He laughed when I told him, saying that he never developed a taste for pork rinds and then after a pause asked if I knew what times the pubs did open.

He told me his fear about me is that I’d create a schedule for him that included everything that he needed to do with a list of proper clothing for the event. In as a serious voice as I could muster I responded, “You haven’t been reading your email.” He was silent for a second but I could hear him scanning through his messages, finally in a ‘I’ve been found out voice,’ he said “I don’t have anything new from you.”

Earlier this month I was able to raise my take home from Kim & Co to a level that covers my budgeted expenses, no longer would I need to draw from savings or have a second income to make ends meet. For my Paris life anyway, the apartment in London is as expensive as my place here and not as large nor as convenient. Until R starts working I’ll be dipping into savings and even when he does start I’ll still need to make withdrawals to make ends meet.

I’m funny about savings; once I’ve put it away I don’t want to touch it. I can make the decision pursue a major purchase, a car for instance, or even something totally frivolous like a Chanel dress, but the idea of withdrawing 1500€ each month to pay the rent is painful.

I met with my psychiatrist last week, after hearing what I had to say and seeing the report I asked my therapist to write, he recommended that we leave the medication levels where they are as they seem effective and he is concerned that increasing them will lead to side effects that presently are minimal. Regarding the insomnia he could only offer sleeping pills, which I reject, or suggest that I try any one of the natural remedies. He said he was going to try listening the BBC.

A last bit of Kim & Co news, at the end of January I added a second fulltime contractor to work through July. The other day we were all in the office together along with a couple of people project specific contractors and I couldn’t help but thinking, “Damn, this is a real company.”

Kim

5 Comments:

Blogger Gillette said...

Kim, I am so excited that things are going so swimmingly for you and hope the trajectory continues into infinity.

Have you ever tried Melatonin to help sleep? It's in the vitamin department and safe. Has always helped me to sleep when I travel.

4:17 AM  
Blogger Pete from Cal said...

Congrats Kim! Seem like everything is going well both in terms of relationship and work. Couldn't be happier for you. Relationship jitter is normal given any committed relationship is scary at first in my opinion. :) Take it step by step. Everything will be fine. Take care.

5:59 AM  
Anonymous VJ said...

Damn, that's some real progress Kim! Congrats on all of it. As G mentioned, Melatonin is generally considered safe, but it has several usage issues associated with it, particularly related to depression. See:
[http://www.talkaboutsleep.com/circadian-rhythm-disorders/circadian-rhythm-sleep-disorders/10-how-to-use-melatonin-correctly.htm] and here too: [http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/melatonin.htm].

So there are several approaches to take here on your sleeping issues. Exercise, sleep timing, darkness levels and comfort & even temperature are important too. The 'new wave' of sleeping pills may be useful, but it's always best to try whatever you can to try and avoid all the expense, bother and possible drug & lifestyle interactions.

In any which case, we hope Raymond has some good leads on jobs in London, and some decent recommendations/introductions too. The 'double' household deal is difficult to maintain, and may require some sacrifices, but in the end it may save your sanity in the short term. I hope it works out and that he's soon on his feet contributing to the project & prospect. Wishing you the best of Luck & Cheers, 'VJ'

7:07 PM  
Blogger John Psmyth said...

For sleeping:

1. I've always been partial to warm milk as a remedy

2. I've also heard that it's useful to let the body cool near bedtime.

I agree 100% with your decision not to take pills. Diet, environment, life rhythm, that's the way to go.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Gillette and VJ, I'm going to run the Melatonin idea past my shrink.

10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home