Thursday, April 12, 2007

Don Imus. I just saw the news story that CBS has fired him.

I never listened to his show, the humor never appealed to me, but at college, guys would come into class or the coffee shops on or around campus loudly repeating what they had heard. Usually it was stuff about women or a woman, an actor or public figure, bitch this, slut that. In retrospect it was significant that these privileged white boys only repeated the derogatory stuff about women, not often the racist rants. I guess they feared the brothers.


I was like most women who said nothing, intimidated and not wanting to have their scorn heaped on me. My friend Katie wasn’t intimidated. She wore their insults like a badge of honor, which they didn’t get, and was smart enough twist their boasts inside out and then humiliate them. Then and now I wish I had Katie's courage.

In every US city that I’ve visited, there has been an Imus wanna be, who spewed vile on the radio. Few of these guys, and they were usually guys, were funny and long ago the shock of those words had lost their punch. Perhaps we’re beginning to turn away from coarseness, I hope so, a little civility would be nice.

What the women on the Rutgers’s basketball team did was exceed expectations and for that a rich man with the power of hundreds of radio stations and a cable network singled them out for racial and sexual abuse. In the end they gained another victory and Don Imus is left wondering if he ever meets them will they be secretly counting coup.

Kim

3 Comments:

Anonymous VJ said...

Yep. Well said Kim. They blew him away at their press conference too. He had to know that. Poise, grace & intelligence. You don't get to the top of thei women's game w/o at least learning something from the coach! Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'

2:41 AM  
Anonymous Trish said...

Are you sure it was Imus and not Howard Stern that your college boys were listening to? Imus appealed primarily to an older demographic.

3:51 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Imus, Stern or the local bozos are all pretty much the same. Most like it was any/all of them.

K

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home