Friday, June 15, 2007

Monday, when I arrived home at my Paris apartment, Christine was there to greet me. She was a sight for sore eyes. She actually arrived last week and the six have been looking out after her, particularly Nathalie, with whom she’s been ruffling my bed linens, the tramps J. We stayed up late to bring each other up to date on our lives, not that we hadn’t relayed this same information by email or telephone, but in person it’s different.

Tuesday morning she had a surprise for me. We went for a run and stopped at a café for coffee and pastry, usually C waits for me and has me translate for her, but not that day, in perfectly acceptable, if somewhat halting schoolbook French, she told the server how she wanted her coffee and asked a couple of questions regarding menu. When the server left she looked at me obviously pleased with herself. I’ll admit I was surprised, as C had expressed no confidence that she could learn a second language. What she kept from me is that she had decided to fulfill her language requirement at school by taking French and it wasn’t as difficult as she feared.

The owner of the café is a known grump, sort of Paris version of the Soup Nazi, brought our food, leaving it with a snide remark that I didn’t let pass, so to the delight of the regulars, we exchanged insults, till he retreated stifling a smile. C looked at me said, “I only understood a little of that and it wasn’t very nice. I smiled.

Raymond arrives this evening and C will plant her delectable butt in Nathalie’s bed for the weekend. C has never met R and she’s looking forward to it. Café Kim will be open Sunday and we’ll have no insults.

Kim

5 Comments:

Anonymous VJ said...

OK no insults. How about a mosh pit then? A friendly group grope? Just stay out of the fog! Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'

12:33 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

This is just the sort of post I was waiting- no bad news! Can't help but get worried when there is radio silence for so long...

1:39 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Beyond the transitory issues of life, I've been fine, just extremely busy. Going between London and Paris, plus traveling to client locations has forced me to make some choices and for a few weeks the blog has suffered.

It's flattering to know that I've been missed.

BTW the fog has lifted but there are still clouds in the vicinity.

K

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kim, Doesn't your heart sadden when you see Christine and Natalie together?? Personally, I would not handle it well.

Yes, you were missed!

BlueBeing

7:17 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

BB, on a level it does, but C and I made a choice, but a bond still exists. When I feel troubled I remember that C has been placed aside by my other lovers and this weekend spent much time with R and me (R is clueless as to C and my history).

N is also a good friend and if things worked out between C&N I'd be happy, but they won't as they are too much alike both being firmly rooted in place.

K

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home