Saturday, September 22, 2007

Guess what stray has been scratching at my door, good old Mr. Hedge Fund. I was in my office about nine, yesterday morning preparing for a meeting when he called. He was in Paris, “How about dinner?” He asked. “No,” I replied, I was leaving for Frankfurt in late afternoon. “Lunch then,” he asked? “Ah no, I have a meeting.” “Shouldn’t you be mastering some universe or buying and selling small countries?” I asked him. “The market isn’t open,” was his reply. “It is somewhere,” I countered. Finally we agreed on coffee if he came to my office.

Right off the bat he expressed condolences regarding Raymond, I thanked him awkwardly and made a note to stick pins in the ‘Grace doll’. “What brings you to Paris, I asked? He really didn’t answer me and I had a passing thought that seeing me was his business, but I didn’t pursue it. He inquired if Frankfurt was business or pleasure and when I told him business, he tried to invite himself along. No, I told him that wouldn’t be possible as my schedule was booked. I thought about asking him about the girlfriend, but decided to leave that lie for now.
I checked my watch, it was time to go, he asked when I would be in New York and I told him next month around the sixteenth or eighteenth. “Dinner?” He inquired, “Perhaps,” I replied. He seemed satisfied with that.

I’ve promised myself that I wouldn’t lock myself away in a tower as I did when my relationship with Dmitri ended, but I hadn’t considered that Mr. HF would show up…


Looking forward to fashion week.

Kim

7 Comments:

Anonymous VJ said...

Bad pennies. They always come back. I hope he's known about your address prior to the coffee too, but he just reeks of trouble. There are powerfully few of these guys that don't think that they're 'naturally due' 2-4 GF's 'just because they can'. They finally settle in their 50's, but usually not for long too. For him probably most people are disposable, (at the very least for a price too), so it's probably best to be cautious. Still it's a fine edge between amusement, profit and hazard. That is his business. Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'

9:14 AM  
Anonymous Valiant said...

Have a look at the film "Run Fatboy Run". Not only is it funny (well in my opinion), but it also has a prime example of all that is good (for good read bad!) in Hedge Fund Managers.

In the film he gets what he deserves! Masters of the Universe, pah!! The evidence these days shows that they are lucky and overpaid. Hedge funds on average perform little better than ordinary funds, it is just that the spread in peformance is wider and the failures are kept quiet, but the FEW great successes get lauded. Be careful.

Talk to CASS Business School in London who have been researching this.

2:11 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Hmmm. VJ, you're ahead of me on Mr. HF as a cash machine. Let's see a settlement in a double digit percentage of a net worth with lots of zeros to the left of the decimal point. Plus the child support as I'll start making babies, say 50K per month. Even a pre-nup for some low 8 figure settlement in case things fall apart...

Not a bad investment. My inner gold digger has that warm fuzzy feeling. That's what Grace is thinking.

Val: As you may remember I deconstructed the hedge fund biz the night I met him. Much to his amusement.

K

3:02 PM  
Anonymous Valiant said...

Gold digegr eh? Not my style, but hey ho!

Beware the volatuility! That net worth you talk about can evaporate almost overnight and for many past Masters of the Universe it has. 100% of zero is still zero!

11:48 AM  
Anonymous VJ said...

It's always a fine line. And it a'int easy being sleazy either. My standard formulation for what they get paid is so damnable obscene that 'their entire family, going back to Homo Erectus is not worth that much money'. And they know it too. The ideal sitch is to get a piece of him w/o him getting much in return, IE serving the money & not him. That's (also) the profitable end of the stick. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

5:35 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

VJ: Been there, done that, have the tee-shirt.

K

3:43 PM  
Anonymous VJ said...

I know. I'd be real lousy at these games. Always was. This is why my SU is a dray horse. Happily so too. Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home