Friday, October 05, 2007

Brittany has been ridiculed here on occasion, and more often if you were to go out drinking with me and see my Brit imitation, but I do feel bad that she’s lost custody of her kids. I can’t imagine what that would be like for a mother. Maybe she’ll finally bottom out.

A few months ago I did a loose transcription of a Helen Gurley Brown recording instructing men on the care of a mistress. . Recently I found this video at YouTube that is part of the same series. Pay attention boys.



Coincidently I received several links to a NYT’s article discussing the alleged situation that young women in some US cities are having greater career success than their male peers and this is resulting in romantic distress. Needless to say in a couple of discussion groups that I participate in, this has been a significant topic. It seems that most women on the forums, do see veracity in the article. Assuming for a moment this isn’t an issue that is being ginned up by the press, it seems that the blame (?) can be spread about.

It seems some men are intimidated by women who make significantly more that they do, and perhaps are even more intimidated when the woman has attended more prestigious schools and have completed advanced degrees. But on the other hand, successful women are often looking for successful men and income is often how the score is measured.

While I find myself nodding my head in agreement, that this is real and a problem, I’m not sure that I really know this or that the paradigm seems logical to me and I’m selectively choosing incidents from my life to support a bias. Raymond definitely had problems about my career aspirations, but it was more around how much of my life I have committed to my career rather than my (future) income.

I’m beginning to think this is one of those life situations, real or manufactured, that eat up too much time and effort.

Anyway my next (possibly irrational) concern came last evening as a link to different NYT article. This article discusses that even though women have created a significant number of businesses during the last few years, these businesses have not been as successful as those of men. This is something I need to concern myself with. After all, for companionship I can always get a dog and the sperm bank has a wealth of potential fathers.

Kim

1 Comments:

Anonymous VJ said...

I've regularly commented on the Economic side of this que4stion. But suffice it to say that this generation of 20 & 30 something guys are actually doing a bit worse than their dads did at the same age. That's really never happened before except for the Great Depression of the 1930's. There's many reasons for this but the Bush years are not helping, despite steady if slow job growth, and good productivity gains in the economy, wages for even college educated folks are falling behind or stagnant. Again something that's not been seen, well for about 70 years or more. So something slow & deadly is happening to the welfare of our younger generations and their economic well being. And it does not look good. But the bit about businesses is true, and there can be many causes, both conventional and not for this fact. Let's hope you can be one of the sterling exceptions! Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'

1:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home