Friday, January 04, 2008

What ever thoughts we had about laying about on the beach catching some rays was put aside yesterday, but we did surf today with Amy, ever the jock, joining us. Christine and Rachel drifted off to a museum.

Anne Marie wanted to shop, so yesterday we did. Rachel came along, since she likes shopping more than sex and Christine joined us with the joke that it was always nice to see what you couldn’t afford, Amy stayed behind and worked. Between the currency exchange and the post holiday sales this was a pretty cheap shopping spree for AM and she was filling bags like a pug empties a food bowl. I was resisting as I’ve spent my share on other trips.

In a boutique that specialized in wearable art, Christine spotted a necklace. She tried it on and looked at her reflection in the mirror fingering the stones. It was evident that she wanted it in the worst way, but she took it off and handed it to the clerk, the disappointment showing on her face. In the whole scheme of things it wasn’t expensive but for Chris, the airfare for this trip was something she really couldn’t afford, it might as well have cost millions.

Rachel noticed and she shot me a look and mouthed a few words and I nodded. A block or so down Rach peeled off saying she wanted to look at something and she would catch up to us later. We continued on joking that we were AM’s bearers and courtiers.

Chris’ birthday is in a few weeks and we planned for Thursday evening to be a party for her, after dinner and cake I gave her the presents that I’d sent along earlier. When she finished unwrapping those I gave her a small box wrapped in white paper. One of the beauties of gifts from small shops is the boxes are often with out any identifying marks, so C had no idea what she would find when she opened the box.

Giving is better than receiving.

Kim

3 Comments:

Anonymous VJ said...

Indeed. It's been eons since I've gotten anything useful from my sibs, but I do indulge their spouses successfully from time to time. More often than not, it's similar hand made jewelry or small art pieces. I forgot a whole bunch at home this time, and I've got to remember them for their birthdays this year too. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Phantom Man said...

That was very sweet of you, Kim. I agree with you that giving makes us feel better than receiving. Your gift has also made me feel good. Thank you for writing about it.

2:31 PM  
Anonymous pete from Cal said...

very touching story Kim... exactly what friendship is about and thanks for reminding us of that... I was hoping you would describe the joy on Christine's face when she opened that present though. :) Is Rachel and Christine an item, instead of Amy? I forget.... but not important... :) Take care!

12:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home