Friday, March 14, 2008

One last night along a highway, but at least I had a nice meal this evening. In the morning I have a breakfast meeting and then it’s on to Manhattan for an afternoon meeting. Saturday I head home and I can’t wait, as it’s been two weeks since I’ve slept in my own bed.

Debauchette, on why quitting is difficult.

A couple of emails have found my way to me asking what I thought of “Secret Diaries of a Call Girl” the TV adaptation of Belle’s book. I like it well enough, the call girl parts ring true, but with each episode hitting on one truism of the business, conflict with the manager, the kinky client, losing a regular, etc, the writers are going to need to do something to flesh out the characters or they’ll begin repeating themselves.

In my view the character development is the weakest part of the show. One thing that’s not believable, is the apartment, no by the hour agency girl could afford that in London. The Belle/Hannah character really needs some Prozac, she seem depressed.

A friend linked me to this recipe, Pork Arrosto with Prunes and Grappa. I read through it once and it sounded yummy so I began reading through it again, this time aloud to myself while preparing it in my mind. I came to the brine and read the ingredients and thought something odd. Then it jumped out at me, the recipe called for kosher salt. Is this a joke I thought, we’re cooking pork? I’ve never cooked with kosher salt so I don’t know if it has a special taste or quality, but I’ll find out as I’m having friends over next week.

Kim

4 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Kosher salt is called kosher salt because the crystals are flatter tan regular table salt which causes them to cling to the meat. this salt is used in the 'act' of koshering meat. In your case, you would likely substitute sea salt. Each salt has varying levels of saltness from iodized free flowing salt (think morton's in a blue cylinder with the girl and hte umbrella) at the highest level of salinity and aftertaste (due to the iodine added to prevent people getting goiter - a wartime relic) to kosher to sea, etc.
Kosher salt is the chosen salt for most cooks because it is easy to control how much you are using when salting items because the grains are larger, and because it is inexpensive, with a large box costing under $3.00. Fleur de sel over here is really rather expensive in comparison.

jo
http://amusebouche.org

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Phantom Man said...

I'm glad you are headed home soon, Kim. Traveling is good, but it is also nice to get home again.

Thanks for mentioning Debauchette. My question is why stop doing something that you enjoy? If you stop enjoying it, then stop; but as long as you enjoy it, why stop? I hope you do what you enjoy doing, Kim.

1:02 PM  
Anonymous VJ said...

I'm glad someone got here first on the Kosher salt question. It's all about the shape and effectiveness. People trying this with 'normal' table salt will have more problems. On the Debauchette issue of quitting or not, 'why stop?' Because it might interfere with your other business. Or it might interfere more with your everyday life after awhile. Each situation is unique, but as I've contended from the start, it's not 'steady' work for most, and it is a short term deal for the many, for many & varied reasons. You quit because it's no longer sustainable or viable in the ways that it used to be. As a part time job it also has some greater risks than rewards. Here also see Greg Palast's take on 'Elliot's Mess' too:
[http://www.gregpalast.com/elliot-spitzer-gets-nailed/]

The main site is here for Greg's site: [http://gregpalast.com/].

I hope the business went well in the 'States. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

6:35 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Thanks Jo that makes sense and I did find kosher salt at a market.

Happy to see you still stop by.

Hugs,

Kim

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home