Friday, August 22, 2008

Seeing Mike and singing those songs got me thinking about growing up this week, the little routines of life and my parents, particularly my mother.

Dad is a northerner, true blue, through and through, while mom was a daughter of the south and grew up loving country music and in particular the old time dance music, which her grandmother referred to as hillbilly squawking. Mom told us of her grandmother’s attitude but would never explain why and when asked would smile and say we’d learn when we grew up. Gail wasn’t the first person I sung those duets with, Mom sang to us when we were little and as I grew, if she were singing along to the radio, I’d join in with her, which pleased her greatly.

One day I asked my grandmother why great grandmother disliked country music, she smiled in the same way mom did, and told me that in certain precincts of places like Charleston and Savannah an attitude existed that you should be distinct from the common and not follow the popular and that great grandmother subscribed to that attitude. It took me a long time to figure out why mom wouldn’t tell us that, and I’m still not sure but I believe she wanted us to discover on our own that there are many types of prejudice.

Kim

2 Comments:

Anonymous VJ said...

NQOCD (not quite our class, darling). the difference was your mum was discreet enough not to mention it often. And perhaps even today not quite part of a bygone era, but getting there quickly. (After all, who knows from 'High' culture nowadays?) Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'

7:00 AM  
Anonymous VJ said...

A peek into what highlands vs lowlands was all about in the South. The Plantation Lowlands of SC & Savannah, that begot all that glorious & rich 'high living' in town. An economy as rigidly separate as were race relations until recently. So take a peek into Sodom Laurel, (NC): [http://www.robamberg.com/sla-gallery.html]. Part of the misbegotten South everyone would love to forget, but that's with us yet, and possibly making a surprising come back.

But hey, now you know from Sodom! Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home