Saturday, September 27, 2008

Scary





Those sighs of frustration, angry mutterings and quiet sobbing, they are exclusive gentleman’s companions who are watching their meal tickets shredded.

---------------------

The names are beginning to roll in as to who are the discarded in the fallout on Wall Street and the damage is being tabulated. One person I spoke with told me her husband is being let go and the thing that distresses her most is that they will need to release their child's nanny. "It will be inconvenient for us," she said, "and [child] will miss her, but this is the woman's livelihood and we're going to take it away." As Dad says, “that’s how tinkle down economics works.”

-------------------------

Why didn’t you tell me? Figuring I should get educated about the upcoming election, Sarah gossip not being enough, I spent time this week reading and watching news clips out at You Tube and I became obsessed with the question of, who is that delectable Rachel Maddow? She’s brilliant and so butch in a not butch way…I’m in love. Yo Rachel, the next time you’re in Paris you can stay at my place. I’m a good cook; I’ll even wash the dishes later. She has a partner you say? That’s OK I’m at my best when I’m the other woman. I’ve had a lot of practice.

Till then it'll be virtual.



---------------------------

Some of you know that Tui is among my favorite bloggers. Her life has had its ups and downs, but had seemed to be getting better, though with much effort. Over the summer she stopped posting and from her writings it seemed her live could be going either way. I emailed her and didn’t hear back and now and then I’d check to see if she was writing. Recently I noted that there were number of comments on her last post, so I checked them. Except for the first couple about that post, the others were mostly of “Hey where are you” sort, till one from a person claiming to be a cousin, said that Tui had died.

Death happens to everyone, but to some it may come sooner than later, and heroin addicts, even those in recovery have narrower margins. Not letting that post sink in I kept reading, first were comments were of disbelief and then one of anger, a reader had searched for the obits and there wasn’t one; Tui’s surname being known to many readers. Finally to all our relief Tui added a comment. She was fine, still clean and working very hard at her new job. She’d found a place to live, one where she could keep her kitten I hope.

Here’s also hoping that she finds time to begin blogging again, I miss her prose.

When favorite bloggers disappear, I wonder what happened to them. Some closure is nice, it doesn’t need to be an explanation, just a note that the end has come. I liked and appreciated how Chelsea Girl ended her blog.

Kim

4 Comments:

Anonymous VJ said...

Yes, yes, Rachel Maddow. Now regularly beating Larry King in the cable ratings. And the one true Lib on TV. Anywhere. And doing a damn fine job of it too. All the while looking swell & smart & earnest. So it may be awhile before she had the time or necessity for a 'bit on the side'. Until then we imagine you can admire her sterling wit and wry smile from afar.

But we can only but hope that other meal tickets come along, or else everyone will be looking for the same few jobs, right? Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most don't realize how close the precipice that we find ourselves--even those of us not living in the U.S. And the problems in the U.S. could easily spread to other industrialized nations with lightening speed.

This is not a time to score political points. Instead, it is a time to find solutions. Unfortunately, politics are never so easy.

K

6:10 PM  
Anonymous VJ said...

More on Maddow in the latest American Prospect:
[http://www.prospect.org/cs/articles?article=channel_changer_08]. Git it yesterday in the mail, interesting stuff. Cheers, 'VJ'

7:38 AM  
Anonymous phantom man said...

Kim, I'm glad you discovered Rachel Maddow. She is great. As to poor Sarah, there are so many wonderful clips on her now, led by Tina Fey on SNL. I almost hate to see her -- and the laughs she brings -- go away. She tells us a lot about John McCain, doesn't she?

2:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home