Thursday, October 09, 2008

The motor show opened to the public Saturday and Saturday night many of the middle managers responsible for getting it launched could be found in the hotel bar partying. The executives have gone, the show is open, the displays are in the hands of the floor managers and most of these people will be leaving on Sunday.

If the economic news made the mood at the show black, by Saturday evening mood had morphed to humor, equally black. Next to me a marketing manager for a manufacturer was scribbling on the back of a napkin trying to predict how many cars his company would sell in the US next year if the financing options required a down payment of 20-30% and term length of less than four years. He crumbled the napkin and tossed it on the table, took a drink and muttered “Christ, I’ll need to sell women’s shoes.”

“No,” I told him, “that market is collapsing.” He slid his glasses down the bridge of his nose and looked over the top of them and said, “What’s wrong with you? You Americans are supposed to be obnoxiously optimistic. And as he lifted his glass to tap against mine, “Do you know how to field dress a moose?”

Across from me was a lovely Italian, olive skin, long black hair and chestnut brown eyes, we’d spotted each other on press day and eye flirted whenever we saw each other. Now she sat across from me, head cocked to one side, twisting her hair around a finger. If that wasn’t enough to let me know she was interested, her foot brushing my leg was unmistakable.

The elevator doors had no sooner shut when we were on each other and when they opened again on her floor we were in full lip-lock, much to the amusement of the elderly gentleman waiting for the car. In her room we fell on the bed all arms and legs. I slid my hand up her leg pushing up her skirt and had the pleasing discovery that she wore holdups. I so enjoy kissing, being kissed just atop the hem of the stocking. It had been a hard, emotional week and in our love making found a release. A bit after three I gathered my things to leave, she was awake and wanted to exchange cards, “Call me when you come to Rome. Better, come soon.”

Kim

3 Comments:

Anonymous phantom man said...

Yes, Kim, the automobile business is in depression; many dealerships are closing as potential buyers are unable to get loans. I thought of you when I saw this article, trumpeting designer Alber Elbaz at Lanvin. I hope your business at the auto and ready-to-wear shows was as great as your encounter later. She sounds delicious, as do you.

8:46 PM  
Anonymous phantom man said...

Oh yes, Kim, I meant to mention that today I saw several women wearing short skirts -- well above the knee. Market watchers are aware of a correlation between the length of women's skirts and the economy -- short skirts coincide with a growing economy, and longer skirts reflect recession. Perhaps the short skirts I am seeing are harbingers of a turn around -- perhaps after "ThatOne" is elected.

9:01 PM  
Anonymous VJ said...

Lovely, it's good to know that there's a party some place. The 'Big 3' could have seen this coming a long ways off. They chose to ignore it. Even in the think of it, they're only advertising the big trucks on my TV. And have been for years. Which is just madness. And I've mentioned that to anyone of them that comes within earshot. Most just shrugged as if the coming economic storm could not have been prepared for. Even most of their vendors knew better and were trying to prepare.

But a lovely vignette of the Italian there. And 'hold ups'? You probably are referring to garter stockings? But yes, it must be a specialty of naughty Euro's. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ'

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home