Sunday, April 19, 2009

Friday afternoon, we sat in my office talking about business, making sure that everything was in place for May and June, April being lost as I expected. When I conceived Kim & Co. I saw three ways that we would make money. The events would be our bread and butter and they have, a second line has developed into a small but profitable business that compliments the events, but of which I’ve also come to realize requires its own fulltime champion to flourish. The last opportunity has repeatedly just escaped our grasp. That was too bad because it is the most creative business and it presents the opportunity for greater pricing flexibility and as we develop our reputation the chance that we could command a premium.

But it hadn’t happened and I was beginning to accept that it never would. Then the phone rang, a long time client who I figured was calling about an up coming project. They were and we talked through the details, Mimi and I with the client on the speaker phone.

Business done we moved on to small talk, after all it was nearly the weekend and then, off handedly the client asked, “Do you remember…?” We looked at each other. “Sure, how could we forget that?” After all, I was thinking, we only had a gazillion hours into the proposal and then nothing as the economy collapsed. “Well we’re back on track and we’ll pick up the timeline where it was dropped in September.” I almost said the timeline stopped in August, the award needed to take place before the September milestones could be achieved.

“So you’ve chosen a partner?” I asked. Yes was the reply and then some gibberish about hoping that they’d still be interested. “In this economy, they’ll be interested,” I answered. “Then”, he said, “if I send the contract over you’ll sign?

Kim

3 Comments:

Anonymous VJ said...

That's a bit of fortunate good news Kim. It always helps to keep friendly & connected to reliable clients. Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'

1:17 AM  
Blogger himself said...

We're all keeping fingers crossed and holding our breaths until the first check is in the bank, Kim!

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Phantom Man said...

Kim, I am so happy for you! That is really great news. You never know where life will lead; you can only work hard and do your best. I am very happy for you, Kim. I hope it works out perfectly for you.

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home