Sunday, January 03, 2010

Wags got into his first dog fight today. We were at the park and as usual there were a number of dogs about. Normally the dogs simply romp around together with some play fights but nothing serious. In the past when a dog has snarled in anger at Wags, he would assume a submissive posture and nothing would happen.

Regularly there is a terrier about 4 or 5 years old and near Wags size in the park that doesn’t play well with other dogs. The dog was adopted a few months ago and the owner has been working on socialization, but it’s been difficult. While I was speaking with a guy whose dogs must be the best trained in Paris, Wags was running about looking for a playmate and approached the terrier. He’s done that before and when the terrier growled at him, he’d back away. Not today, the terrier growled and Wags growled back and then they went at it. I started to run over to pull my baby away and the guy held my arm and said the fight wouldn’t last long, it didn’t, only 5 or 10 seconds and it stopped as quickly as it started.

The dogs stood there looking at each other, while the other owner and I called them and then simultaneously they turned and ran back to each of us. I put him on the leash and checked to see if he’d been hurt, he wasn’t. I guess my boy isn’t a puppy any longer.

Kim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home