Sunday, November 11, 2012

Friday afternoon we had a small celebration at Kim & Co. For the past eighteen months we have been pursuing a project that we hope will put us in a position to succeed, despite the economic turmoil that is racking Europe. In our office was my investor and a couple of partners as well as my employees. Via video conference was Grace and her senior staff and several partners from various cities. Champagne, cheeses and sweets. Toasts and good cheer all around.

When the rest had left Mimi and I sat in the reception area of the office. She poured out the last of the Champagne into our glasses. I rolled my head back against the divan, shutting my eyes I massaged my temples. "You look tired," she said. "I'm exhausted, but when I get back from Madrid, I'll have a few days near the ocean. I'm looking forward to it."

"I hate to bring this up but it's going to come up anyway," she said. "What's that," I replied, my interest piqued? "There's talk, a rumor, that you're a prostitute…

Her voice trailed off and we were silent for what seemed to be an eternity. In an even voice, knowing that my tone was saying more than my words I asked where she had heard this. "I've heard the rumors before," she began, "but this time it was Jeanette who asked what I knew. I wanted you should know this before Madrid."

Jeanette is my investor and she'll be with me in Madrid and now I'm sure the conversation will be interesting.

Mimi has been with me almost from the start of Kim & Co. over six years and while we don't share the most private episodes of our lives, we are extremely close.

"Can I ask you," I started, "how you would feel if this were true?" She sat up, "look at me Kim, I've worked for you for what, seven years? Nearly from the beginning I heard the talk and at first I dismissed it, but when it persisted I needed to accept that it could be true and despite it all I've stayed and I don't regret a minute. Though I can't understand why or how you could do that."

I was sobbing, Mimi found a box of tissues and when she was sure I would be OK, left, what went unsaid spoke volumes, but it also need not be verbalized. Except for Wags, nagging me to go out, I would have slept on that couch as I didn't have the energy to go home.

Kim

3 Comments:

Blogger J said...

Merde! But it could never come at a good time could it? And I know, you always knew this day would arrive. Surely you are prepared inside. You've changed, Kim & Co. is a big success, so Kim should keep just keep moving. No deer in the headlights, svp. Hold your head high and just ignore it.

Jean

4:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*hug* —eb

8:51 PM  
Anonymous VJ said...

Geez, my last comment disappeared, and quickly. It was a note about Carla Bruni, former French First Lady, being just about the most famous courtesan of the age. And of course the French understanding the concept of mistresses better than the US ever did.
They cleaned Carla's wiki, but here some of the 'flavor':

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2145689/Carla-Brunis-embarrassment-claimed-passionate-relationship-Frances-new-foreign-minister.html


Hope this takes. Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home